Comment on binding cryptography (2)

Adam Back wrote:
>Hey Bert-Jaap, I had you down as one of the good guys, what caused you
>to fold :-)

It's nice to hear I was listed as a good guy. Maybe I can regain some
credit if I explain why I co-published the binding cryptography
proposal ;-).

I haven't yet made up my mind how the crypto problems for law
enforcement are to be addressed. It's my Ph.D. subject, and all I can
say at present is that the issue is complex.

That is why I want there to be as much information on the issue as
possible. I don't say I agree with key-escrow, GAK or binding crypto,
nor with demanding a suspect to decrypt, but I want to know all there
is to know before I make up my mind.

Having a new proposal helps putting things into perspective. At least
the binding crypto proposal shows (as other proposals have) that
there's no need to escrow your private keys, and that's a point.
Also, as I said in my first comments, binding crypto isn't meant to
solve the crypto problem, it is "merely" meant to provide a
trustworthy crypto system with some safeguard.

Finally, to my mathematician's sense of aesthetics, binding crypto
is an elegant proposal. It merits publication in its own right. Not
because I think it should be established, but because I think it
should be known.

Bert-Jaap

Bert-Jaap Koops                         tel     +31 13 466 8101
Center for Law, Administration and      facs    +31 13 466 8149
Informatization, Tilburg University     e-mail  [email protected]
Postbus 90153    |  This world's just mad enough to have been made  |
5000 LE Tilburg  |    by the Being his beings into being prayed.    |
The Netherlands  |                (Howard Nemerov)                  |
         http://cwis.kub.nl/~frw/people/koops/bertjaap.htm