Re: Prof Shamir arrested

At 02:56 PM 10/21/96 +0100, Tom Womack wrote:

>A few column inches in the British Independent had Prof Avi Shamir (who I
>guess is the S in RSA) arrested in Israel, on (I believe) suspicion of
>involvement in a substantial fraud.

We should carefully note the use of the word "fraud" in this message, and
presumably it's how the news story will describe the situation.   Notice
that the authors of the idea, "Binding Cryptography," repeatedly like to use
the term "fraud" to describe sending bits with other than the prescribed
pattern which shows that the key has been appropriately GAK'd.

Further recall that the so-called "Bit Tax" idea, the one most recently
proposed by that Belgian (?) Luc Soete, would apparently require that any
data transmitter keep account of any data it sends, in order to collect some
sort of tax, and thus any mistake in the count (either as a result of
misinterpretation of the rules, or a disk crash, or a power surge, etc)
would presumably turn a minor error into "tax fraud," or maybe they'll call
it "bit fraud."

My opinion was and is that one of the worst aspects of that bit tax idea was
that it would automatically result in essentially everybody becoming
unavoidably guilty of this "bit fraud", which from the name would presumably
be criminalized.   Further, unlike taxing the profits of the ISP or a gross
tax on revenue which was analogous to a sales tax (neither of which had
anything to do with the actual data being transmitted) a "bit fraud"
situation would presumably be used to justify wiretapping, ostensibly just
to count bits, but in reality  would allow content monitoring as well.  And
since the ISP would be under the gun for such a charge, presumably the
government could extort cooperation from him, particularly encouraging him
to violate the terms of the agreement he may have previously signed with his
customers and divulge information without a warrant.

Isn't it interesting, however, that the term "fraud" can be misused to make
what was previously not a crime into a crime?  Don't you wonder why the
authors of that "Binding Cryptography" idea don't explain why a person would
agree to some kind of GAK'd encryption standard which would (given the
repeated use of the word "fraud") leave him open to what could become
criminal charges some day?

After all, the term fraud implies that somebody is being misled, and
seriously misled at that.  However, most owners of equipment which is used
to carry data on the Internet have only limited and marginal interest in the
content of that data, and certainly would have no reason (absent some
arm-twisting by government) to monitor and check the keys of the data it
transmits.  If I owned equipment which transmitted Internet data, I wouldn't
consider myself "defrauded" if some data went over that circuit which didn't
have the correct-GAK data included.  Against whom, then, is this "fraud"
against?

There's an old saying:  "When the only tool you have is a hammer, you treat
all problems as though they are nails."  Well, governments and its
apologists and minions seem to think that the main tool they have is being
able to declare something to be "fraud" and punish it accordingly, and
naturally they're anxious to convert all problems to "fraud" problems.
That's why Luc Soete wants a bit tax, and I think that's why our Dutch
friends keep talking about fraud in their government-friendly GAK system.
And I won't be surprised if Avi Shamir is yet another victim of the
"fraudification" of cryptography.

I wonder if Professor Shamir will now be receptive to a cryptographic
solution to a political/governmental problem?

Jim Bell
[email protected]