Re: 2nd edition Puzzle Palace?

At 3:10 AM +0000 10/31/96, Carol Harris wrote:
>However, there does appear to be a 1993 edition of the
>book.  Perhaps this is what Mr. Schneier was
>referencing?
>I happened to be at Borders bookstore in Austin
>this afternoon and checked.  They don't have it
>but will special order it.
>
>On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:42:39 -0800, Tim May wrote:
>
>>At 9:19 AM -0600 10/30/96, William I. MacGregor wrote:
>>>Applied Cryptography references a 2nd edition of The Puzzle Palace by
>>>Bamford and Madsen, 1995, but I can't seem to find it in any of the
>>>bookstores in Austin.  Has it been published?  Thanks,
>>>

>>Read Ernest Hua's message from yesterday about this. He quoted an EE Times
>>article which said, in part:

No, I doubt this is what folks are referring to when they talk about the
forthcoming "Second Edition."

I bought the 1982 hardback of Bamford, in 1982 (even before I really knew
crypto issues were of such interest to me...quite possibly reading Bamford
helped prepare me). A paperback edition came out a year or two later, with
some added material. But it was--so far as I know--still the First Edition.

The long-awaited Second Edition will be a major rewrite, as noted in the
various comments over the past couple of years.

--Tim May

"The government announcement is disastrous," said Jim Bidzos,.."We warned IBM
that the National Security Agency would try to twist their technology."
[NYT, 1996-10-02]
Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.