Re: FW: Dr. Vulis is not on cypherpunks any more [RANT]

Paul Foley wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Nov 1996 21:43:51 -0800, Dale Thorn wrote:
>    Sandy Sandfort wrote:

[snippo]

> Try this at home: send email addressed to [email protected] with the
> body "who cypherpunks".  When you get a reply, save it in a file.  OK,
> you now have a list of who's subscribed to this list on your computer.
> Is it your contention that you should not be allowed to edit or delete
> this list?  If you reply in the negative, why do you think that John
> Gilmore shouldn't be allowed to edit his copy of this list?

[mucho snippo]

It amazes me how erstwhile "intelligent" folks will waste so much time stating the
obvious, i.e., "John owns the list, etc.".  I doubt whether they'd make very good
programmers, with so much time on their hands and so little imagination.

BTW, I did a "who cypherpunks" on Oct 12, and another on Nov 4.  There were 1361 on
the list on Oct 12, and 1353 on Oct 4 (net loss of 8).  There were 211 new nyms,
and 219 dropped off.  If enough of these people who come and go stay just long
enough to learn something, and possibly give up some of their own info at the same
time, that could translate to a lot of influence on the part of the list "owner".

Anytime *anyone* accumulates a disproportionate share of power, money, or influence
in a "free" society, they should be watched very closely.  In fact, you folks who have
so much time on your hands could help with that...

BTW #2:  I didn't do the stats manually, I used utilities made for the purpose.