How to slow the animals ...

It seems that there are many technical means to stop abuse from
the resource usage sense:

1.  Prevent non-members from sending mail to the list.  (This may
    be done already, but since I don't know, I cannot say.)

2.  Limit the rate of new subscription requests (perhaps on a per-
    host or per-domain basis.)

3.  Re-order out-going mail (from toad.com) according to size.
    Drop messages from queue if it gets "reordered" too many times.

4.  Truncating long messages.

5.  Re-order out-going mail (from toad.com) according to time of
    last mail (from the originator).  Basically, limit the rate of
    mail from any particular person or host or domain.

6.  Refuse connections from "known host(s) or domain(s) of
    abusers" during "busy" periods.

These are not whole-sale censorship mechanisms, but just abuse-
resistence measures.

Ern