Re: How to slow the animals ...

uOn Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Ernest Hua wrote:

> It seems that there are many technical means to stop abuse from
> the resource usage sense:
>
> 1.  Prevent non-members from sending mail to the list.  (This may
>     be done already, but since I don't know, I cannot say.)

This makes anonymous remailers not be able to send to the list, which is
(in principle) a Bad Thing.

> 2.  Limit the rate of new subscription requests (perhaps on a per-
>     host or per-domain basis.)

Most domains don't have more than 1 problem user on them and on this list.

> 3.  Re-order out-going mail (from toad.com) according to size.
>     Drop messages from queue if it gets "reordered" too many times.

nononononononono Bad Bad Thing.  If you start doing that, we'll start
getting replies before messages _even more than we do now_.

> 4.  Truncating long messages.

You _must_ be joking...

> 5.  Re-order out-going mail (from toad.com) according to time of
>     last mail (from the originator).  Basically, limit the rate of
>     mail from any particular person or host or domain.

This hinders many discussions; easier and more effecient not to.

> 6.  Refuse connections from "known host(s) or domain(s) of
>     abusers" during "busy" periods.

Which would only really be usefull on users who needed to be removed
anyway.  A Better fix might be to and more disk space to queue messages
in.

> These are not whole-sale censorship mechanisms, but just abuse-
> resistence measures.

"Abuse-resistance" is simple: If somebody abuses the list, warn them.  If
they continue, John does what he did to Vulis. Good Thing. 'nuff said.

> Ern

 --Deviant
Blood flows down one leg and up the other.