Re: Reputation distortions?

> At 6:05 am -0500 11/19/96, snow wrote:
> >     Reputation could also eleminate the need for judges. If Matt Blaze,
> >or Randall S. were to try to claim a specific bounty, people would be
> >more likely to accept their claim than if I were to do so.
> I'm not saying that Gauss *didn't* discover the normal distribution. I'm
> saying that he didn't have to *prove* he did. Of course not. He was the
> greatest mathematician of his time, and probably since.
> I'd call the event a reputation distortion.

      With either system proposed (market based contracts v.s. bounty)
you are paid for code. Let's face it, with reputation capital, losses (i.e.
bad moves/actions/whatever) are far more costly than good moves pay.

     To use a sports analogy: If you fumble the ball, and allow the runner
to score, more people are going to remember it than if you make a couple of
baskets.

     What was the thing that killed Bushes chances of re-election against
a rather weak canidate? One lie "No new taxes".

     If Gauss had been called on it, what would have happened? If the caller
could _prove_ he was lying, what then? He still would have been the
greatist mathmatician of the time, but he would have been seen as a liar
and a crackpot. We know how that works don't we.

Petro, Christopher C.
[email protected] <prefered for any non-list stuff>
[email protected]