RE: Mass-market crypto phones

At 09:41 AM 11/22/96 -6, Peter Trei wrote (in part):
>It's kind of pathetic - I'm sure that the billions lost to cellular fraud
>far outweigh the value of crimes that the  LEA groups have been
>able  prevent by preserving their ability to illegally eavesdrop on
>cell calls without a warrant.

Lots of TV specials lately on stealing cell-phone codes and cloning phones.
Seems to me that this would be ridiculously easy to stop using crypto.

As a side issue (related to your comment about banning the listening in on
cell-phone calls).  I find it pretty amazing that it is possible to make it
illegal to listen to signals broadcast over public airways.  Yet another way
crypto will help society - it will make such laws restricting our freedoms
obsolete.

        Clay

>Peter Trei
>[email protected]
>(standard disclaimer applies)
>
>Peter Trei
>Senior Software Engineer
>Purveyor Development Team
>Process Software Corporation
>http://www.process.com
>[email protected]

Clay Olbon			    [email protected]
engineer, programmer, statistitian, etc.