Re: PRIVACY: X-No-Archive and mail.cypherpunks

At 11:04 AM -0800 12/3/96, John Anonymous MacDonald wrote:

>It is unlikely that anybody is going to pay money for our postings,
>even Igor's postings.  Copyright is not the issue.

Copyright is not identical with commercial use. A copyrighted work, even if
not sold commercially, remains protected. (Though of course the most
commercial works are the works most aggressively litigated on copyright
grounds.)

In any case, my example was not arguing that someone was planning to pay
for our posts. Even if I had made this point, I'd've been _right_, as some
of the filtering services charge _money_, e.g., Eric Blossom's service, so
people are clearly paying for the posts, or the filtering, or both. A
familiar situation with edited items.

(And the issue becomes much more tangible when stuff from commercial
newspapers gets forwarded to the Cypherpunks list, and then archived. Even
if Igor Chudov is not primarily concerned with commercialization of his
posts, clearly "The New York Times" and "The Wall Street Journal" are.
Recall the reports--confirmed?--that Todd Masco had to drop his archiving
of the list when legal warnings arrived from these sorts of news services,
complaining about their items being archived and made available via search
engines.)

>Perhaps, Igor is worried about the unpredictable consequences of his
>posts being readable by anybody, anywhere, forever.  The solution to
>that problem is straightforward and I leave it as an exercise.

Indeed, if Igor does not want his posts added to his dossier entry in the
BlackNet Dossier Service (coming to an offshore site soon), he has various
ways to ensure this. At least until better tools exist to link nyms to true
names, a service BlackNet expects to offer (using the latest Bayesian
inference techniques) within the next 18 months.

--Tim May

Just say "No" to "Big Brother Inside"