Re: PRIVACY: X-No-Archive and mail.cypherpunks

At 10:24 AM 12/3/1996, Timothy C. May wrote:
>At 10:15 AM -0600 12/3/96, Igor Chudov @ home wrote:
>
>>This is primarily addressed to the person who supports cypherpunks
>>mail-to-news gateway. If you know who such person is, please send
>>his/her address to me.
>>I am opposed to seeing my articles showing up in DejaNews and other
>>search engines. All my emails and usenet postings have this header
>>line. However, when cypherpunks-to-newsgroup gateway reposts all
>>articles, it strips this header line. I believe it to be a mistake
>>and hope that it will be corrected.
>
>Igor raises an important point.
>
>I believe he is misguided in his expectation that his public utterances in
>a forum containing at least 1200 readers (and probably more, through
>gateways, etc.) that he can limit uses of his posts. Any recipient of his
>public utterances may choose to quote them in other articles, forward them
>to friends, archive them on his own disks, etc.

>In a free society it is impossible to control what people do with material
>given to them. The best means of protecting one's writings is not to
>distribute them.

It is unlikely that anybody is going to pay money for our postings,
even Igor's postings.  Copyright is not the issue.

Perhaps, Igor is worried about the unpredictable consequences of his
posts being readable by anybody, anywhere, forever.  The solution to
that problem is straightforward and I leave it as an exercise.

Red Rackham