Re: PRIVACY: X-No-Archive and mail.cypherpunks

John Anonymous MacDonald wrote:
> At 10:24 AM 12/3/1996, Timothy C. May wrote:
> >At 10:15 AM -0600 12/3/96, Igor Chudov @ home wrote:
> >
> >>This is primarily addressed to the person who supports cypherpunks
> >>mail-to-news gateway. If you know who such person is, please send
> >>his/her address to me.
> >>I am opposed to seeing my articles showing up in DejaNews and other
> >>search engines. All my emails and usenet postings have this header
> >>line. However, when cypherpunks-to-newsgroup gateway reposts all
> >>articles, it strips this header line. I believe it to be a mistake
> >>and hope that it will be corrected.
> >
> >Igor raises an important point.
> >
> >I believe he is misguided in his expectation that his public utterances in
> >a forum containing at least 1200 readers (and probably more, through
> >gateways, etc.) that he can limit uses of his posts. Any recipient of his
> >public utterances may choose to quote them in other articles, forward them
> >to friends, archive them on his own disks, etc.

> >In a free society it is impossible to control what people do with material
> >given to them. The best means of protecting one's writings is not to
> >distribute them.
>
> It is unlikely that anybody is going to pay money for our postings,
> even Igor's postings.  Copyright is not the issue.
>
> Perhaps, Igor is worried about the unpredictable consequences of his
> posts being readable by anybody, anywhere, forever.  The solution to
> that problem is straightforward and I leave it as an exercise.

Surely, I am not expecting that presence of some magic header line would
prevent everyone from archiving all my posts. I am fairly sure that
Dimitri Vulis, for example, archives all my messages just in case.
There is little one can do to prevent that.

I do, however, believe that limiting the availability of archived posts,
even to a small degree, is a valuable thing.

	- Igor.