Re: PICS is not censorship

At 08:37 PM 12/8/96 -0800, Lucky Green wrote:

At 07:18 PM 12/8/96 -0800, Thaddeus J. Beier wrote:
>I think that most of the PICS labels that are on web pages will be those
>generated by scripts from groups like RSACi. (http://www.rsac.org)
>These groups have contracts that require you to not lie when you fill out
their
>questionnaires, and if you do lie, you are in breach of contract and
should expect
>to be sued by them.

So what is going to happen if I generate one of their tags from scratch
without filling out their questionnaire? Are they going to sue me, claiming
that they own an html tag? Can one own an html tag?

"Owning" an html tag is oversimplifying things; but claiming that you've
been rated a certain way by a certain group (if you haven't) could
potentially create fraud, trademark, and (maybe) copyright problems - an
easy analogy is to the "UL" and "Good Housekeeping" symbols displayed on
some consumer goods.

--
Greg Broiles                | US crypto export control policy in a nutshell:
[email protected]         |