RE: Microsoft IE may not work without censorship files

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Blake Coverett wrote:

> > In the control panel I attempt to click on the Internet Icon and the
> > following occurs:  A Content Advisor box appears and states the
> > following:  Content advisor configuration information is missing.
> > Someone may have tried to tamper with it.  Check content Advisor
> > Settings.  End of quote.  In the internet properties box, I tried to
> > look for what they recommended but was not sure what to look for.
>
> It's good to see they make at least an attempt at preventing the
> PICS filter from being turned off without a password.

True, but my point was stronger.

The program *will not work* if there have been even inadvertent changes
to the self-censorship files. This person emailed me because he couldn't
get it to work after an unrelated change.

This sort of contradicts Microsoft's claims that they don't require
ratings because they're turned off by default. If the file can't fix
itself, I'd say that's not "default."

This person wasn't trying to get around ratings. It was his personal
machine, which up and broke because of the censorship bits.

Sorry, I didn't get the context across. Read it again alongside this:

http://pathfinder.com/Netly/daily/961213.html

-rich