Re: The virus I got...

Bryan Reece wrote:

>    There was an e-mail sent to the list that had attached to it a virus.  Well
>    lucky me I got.  It was a .com file that apparently turns your files into
>    directories.  I can't boot into Win95 since it turned my HIMEM.SYS into a
>    directory.  So, I seem to have fixed that, but now it says "access denied"
>    and then prompts me with C:\>.  Did anyone else get it?  Has anyone heard
>    or fixed this virus?
>
> Yes.  It's a deadly mutation of the GOOD TIMES virus.
>
> (People actually go to the trouble of stripping off the leading crap
> from the uuencoded part and then *run a program* from someone called
> [email protected]? Furrfu.)

from CIAC,

   http://www-gsb.uchicago.edu/comp_svcs/hoax.html

Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 20:12:41 -0800 (PST)
Sender: [email protected]
From: [email protected] (David Crawford)
To: [email protected]
Subject: CIAC Bulletin H-05: Internet Hoaxes

                       The U.S. Department of Energy
                    Computer Incident Advisory Capability
                           ___  __ __    _     ___
                          /       |     /_\   /
                          \___  __|__  /   \  \___

                             INFORMATION BULLETIN

            Internet Hoaxes: PKZ300, Irina, Good Times, Deeyenda, Ghost

November 20, 1996 15:00 GMT
Number H-05
PROBLEM:       This bulletin addresses the following hoaxes and
erroneous
               warnings: PKZ300 Warning, Irina, Good Times, Deeyenda,
and
               Ghost.exe
PLATFORM:      All, via e-mail
DAMAGE:        Time lost reading and responding to the messages
SOLUTION:      Pass unvalidated warnings only to your computer security
               department or incident response team. See below on how to
               recognize validated and unvalidated warnings and hoaxes.
VULNERABILITY  New hoaxes and warnings have appeared on the Internet and
old
ASSESSMENT:    hoaxes are still being cirulated.

<snip>

Good Times Virus Hoax
=====================

The "Good Times" virus warnings are a hoax. There is no virus by that
name in
existence today. These warnings have been circulating the Internet for
years.
The user community must become aware that it is unlikely that a virus
can be
constructed to behave in the manner ascribed in the "Good Times" virus
warning. For more information related to this urban legend, reference
CIAC
Notes 95-09.

http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/notes/Notes09.shtml

<snip>