Cypherpunks as Philosopher Kings [was permanent invasion of privacy]

        Currently, I am not sure what the charter of cypherpunks
    really stands for, if anything.  As it stands, the list has
    a far more erudite group than the list it probably should be.
    certainly more privacy and social engineering issues resulting
    from the deprivation of privacy than code.

        I don't believe Cypherpunks was ever intended to be a technical
    forum; I was not on for the first few months so I missed the
    formative discussions of the elitist few, most of whom, other than
    founder tcmay, have left for greener pastures.

        In the beginning years, there was a substantial amount of
    crypto code, etc. passed around and argued. However, the few of us
    who do code, do not generate enough messages relating to code to
    warrant a list; therefore the passionate interests which travel
    as coders' baggage seem to explode and others, some technically
    competent and some not, join the list and the circus goes on.

        Frankly, I have hired and "mind-fucked" (pardon my french, for
    lack of a more descriptive expression) scores of hacker grade
    philosophers.  That is exactly where it runs: they are philosophers
    first and creative coders second. As to their knowledge of philo-
    sophy, and the direction of their creative talents to a logical
    and usable conclusion, they score a fat zero as by and large they
    are geeks and idealistic social nerds. --hence the need for subtle
    background manipulation to make these philosopher-coders think your
    design is actually their great philosophic-coder design.

        Yes, and _never_ assign two of them to the same compartment:
    the code never works  --absolutely will not share tasks. Common
    interface boundaries? No problem for their minds, but too
    creatively selfish to code associative modules.  For that reason
    alone, I hold C++ in contempt: a black box that is _supposed_to_
    to look for 'this' and give you 'that.'  C++ is an ignorant
    managers ultimate wet dream:  "reusable code containers for
    disposable programmers."  For some reason, Bjorn elucidated a
    strenuous objection to my statement. <g>

        For what it's worth, the above is my perception of cypherpunks:
    an interesting collection of philosopher kings, some of whom are
    putting their convictions to the means of thwarting the common
    enemy.  It is no accident most subscribers, and certainly all the
    doers, are anti-government with a preference for social anarchy,
    the anarchy tempered by some level of realization that the mass
    of humanity can not govern itself in a society which is inherently
    evil. However, if the Libertarian Party can not field a better
    candidate than Harry Brown, anarchy, or a premature dictatorship,
    it will be.  The US is in the last laugh of the oligarchy at this
    point in time.

In <[email protected]>, on 12/18/96