Re: Ebonics

Matthew J. Miszewski writes:

>Why is it that personal freedom, sometimes expressed by choice of dialect
>or language, seemingly has such arbitrary limits?  Many on the list
>complain that they are subject to too many rules, and yet, seem to chime in
>on multi-linugual issues in this way.

Mr. Miszewski:

As an attorney, you may be acquainted with the concept of "reasonableness."

I can certainly express my personal freedom by passing wind at home (subject
only to the possibly vociferous objections of my family).

Were I to fart in church or in a board meeting, that would be a horse of a
different color, nicht wahr?