Re: Ebonics

In <[email protected]>, on 12/21/96 at 08:06 PM,
   "Matthew J. Miszewski" <[email protected]> said:

>Why is it that personal freedom, sometimes expressed by choice of dialect
>or language, seemingly has such arbitrary limits?  Many on the list
>complain that they are subject to too many rules, and yet, seem to chime in
>on multi-linugual issues in this way.

Matt you seem to be missing the point.

As far as I can tell no one cares how individuals or in what "language"
individuals care to speak in. It is a compleetle different issue when you are talking
about a government sponcered "second language".

As with all things the government does this is just a trial balloon for bigger and
"better" things. Tax forms in Afrolish, Voting Ballots in Afrolish, matter of fact all
government documents in Afrolish. Anti-discrimination suits & laws because a perspective
employee was turned down for a job on the basis that he  can not speak English only
Afrolish.

If you look outside the political/economic spectrum you have the issues dealing with
society as a whole.
While I could write a thesis on this here are some basic question to ask:

What are the effects of having a subset of a society with the following:

 - Speak a differnt language
 - Practice a different religion
 - Have a different work ethic
 - Have a different set of moral values
 - Have a different cultural background

How will this group fair economically?
How will this group fair politically?

What are the effects of such a group violently refusing to integrate into the society as a
whole?

What historical presedents do you have to support your views?

Historical Examples:

  - Programs against the Jews in Europe & Russia
  - Turks & Armanians
  - Greeks & Turks
  - Palistinians & Jews in Israel (20th Century)

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii
Geiger Consulting    WebExplorer & Java Enhanced!!!
Cooking With Warp 4.0

Look for MR/2 Tips & Rexx Scripts
Get Work Place Shell for Windows!!

Finger [email protected] for PGP Key and other info

Tag-O-Matic: DOS=HIGH? I knew it was on something...