Re: domestic laws/policies

At 7:49 PM -0800 12/23/96, bobbi wrote:
>If I wanted to develop software that employs cryptography, or a
>new cryptographic algorithm, strictly for domestic use and sale, does this
>algorithm have to be registered with any domestic agency?

If your algorithm is only for domestic use, then there are no restrictions
and no need to register.  However, if even a single copy is illegally
exported, and even if there is no evidence that you helped in its export,
then you may experience a situation similar to Phill Zimmerman's where the
government persecuted him until the statue of limitations ran out.

However judge Patell's decision, if it is applied to you, may make the
export of an academic or even source code description of your algorithm
legal.  YMMV.

IMHO, the bottom line is that if you publish in this area you are stepping
onto a battle ground.  If you don't want any risk of getting shot at, the
only safe place is not publishing/selling.  If you do publish or sell, and
take reasonable precautions to stay within the law, you are fairly safe,
but government harassment can not be ruled out.

Bill Frantz       | Client in California, POP3 | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | in Pittsburgh, Packets in  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
[email protected] | Pakistan. - me             | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA