Re: Legality of requiring credit cards?

Brian Davis wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Dec 1996, Blake Coverett wrote:
> > jonathon wrote:
> > >     Go shopping with a wad of $100.00 bills.   Most stores don't
> > >     accept them, regardless of the amount of purchase, without
> > >     additional ID.

> > I bought a new PC a few months ago with just shy of $7K worth of
> > $100 bills.  No one even blinked.

> Remember that if you go over 10K, the recipient is supposed to file a
> form 8300 with the IRS ....

Make sure that, unless you don't mind the FBI putting an extra monitor
on you, you don't *ever* transact $10k or more at one time, or on one
purchase in smaller increments over a relatively short period of time.
I know this because one of our customers in Encino was tagged this way
in 1983.  What was really hilarious was that they brought the equipment
in for us to have a look at, since we were experts on HP proprietary
gear and they weren't.  (Or we were a lot cheaper than HP corp.)