Re: Just another government fuckover: New crypto regulations

Dale Thorn sez:

> In the late 1970's (I think), Victor Marchetti (formerly of CIA) wrote
> The CIA and the Cult of Intelligence (title approx.), and the CIA was
> allowed by the courts to censor portions of the book.
>
> As I remember, those portions were released later in a new edition,
> primarily because the blacked-out parts were not in fact big-time
> secrets, but simply embarrassments for the agency.
>
> Is this a representative case?

I doubt it. When first granted access to classified, you must sign a
civil contract not to publish anything without clearing same. That
restricts your actions.

But if you are writing a book, and the New York Times learns details
by other than you telling them [To use a favorite of this group; one
I scoff at as it's made to "look easy" -- let's say the NYT used
Tempest techniques..], then can the USG go after the NYT and engage
prior restraint? No, in my understanding.

I hedge cuz this came about as a result of Phillip Agee [sp] but I
do not recall exactly when.

--
A host is a host from coast to [email protected]