Re: Just another government fuckover: New crypto regulations

Attila T. Hun wrote:
>         books are and have been protected prior to the US Constitution.
>     one can presume books with crypto source code would be protected
>     accordingly; one Federal judge (Patel in SF) has ruled source code
>     is protected under freedom of speech and therefore can be published;
>     yet another judge in the Washington area has ruled it is not.  There
>     is no question the feds will appeal Patel's ruling in the Ninth
>     Circuit (known to be pro rights in general, but difficult to
>     predict).  eventually it will go to the US Supreme Court.

[snip]

In the late 1970's (I think), Victor Marchetti (formerly of CIA) wrote
The CIA and the Cult of Intelligence (title approx.), and the CIA was
allowed by the courts to censor portions of the book.

As I remember, those portions were released later in a new edition,
primarily because the blacked-out parts were not in fact big-time
secrets, but simply embarrassments for the agency.

Is this a representative case?