Re: Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice

Bill Frantz wrote:
> At 10:54 AM -0800 12/31/96, Timothy C. May wrote:[snip]
> I would say that the street action which effectively eliminated legally
> mandated racial segregation about 25 years ago qualifies as a revolution.
> People certainly put their bodies, and occasionally their lives, on the
> line for it.  It didn't happen because the political powers that be decided
> to do it.  It happened because people mobbed in the streets and made it
> happen. The same argument applies to the actions which forced the withdrawal
> from Vietnam. With the end of the cold war, and the ensuing reduction in
> need for the entrenched national security establishment, we may be ripe
> for another one. I personally hope our government will continue to show
> that it is civilized by keeping the blood shed to a minimum.

I'll tell you exactly what they'll show.  They are a *lot* more hardened
to civil unrest than they were at Kent State, etc.  This time, as in the
late 1970's, the leaders, organizers, and other influential people will
be removed, one way or the other.  Dissidents will be allowed, as long
as (like Chomsky) they're not a real threat.