Re: Double crypt strength

At 04:33 PM 1/6/97 -0800, Toto wrote:
>  Pardon my ignorance, but I seem to be missing something here.
>  If you use an encryption as your password, do you not need to 'store'
>it somewhere in order to use it in the future (to 'pass' it to the
>decryption program)?

I was thinking something as simple as running crypt and then the next thing
you do is run passwd.  That way, the encrypted string will probably still
be right there on the screen (assuming your passwd util doesn't clear the
screen first).  Granted, it still means that you have to remember a
pseudo-random string, but the string is always one step away if you used a
logical password/phrase to generate it.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't too clear on that (fingers can't keep up with the
mind and all that...)

-Rick

Rick Osborne / [email protected] / Northrop Grumman Corporation
"And when exactly did all this happen?"
'When we rewrote the dictionary.'