mail list / sequence number & signature

Have the list maintainers ever considered either or both of the
following...

(Sorry in advance if this has been brought up sometime in the past.)

o adding a digital signature from "[email protected]", so
  someone can't mass mail the mailing list and make it appear that
  the message came from toad.com.

    I just tried to figure out if the id in the header is in any order
    but I couldn't tell.  I have already deleted many messages so some
    numbers are missing anyway.

o adding a sequence number to every message which comes through
  toad.com, so recipients can easily notice if mail is be
  accidentially or intentionally filtered by their service provider or
  any other forces.  At the same time, you could add the current
  numbers for flame vs.  non-flame.  This would help end all the
  bandwidth wasted on people speculating about the numbers.

    say there are X total messages, Y non-flames, and Z flames then
    the appearance to subscriber (either in the subject or some
    header field) could be...

                                list

        type      | all                 non-flame           flame
        non-flame | X (non-flame Y)     Y (all X)
        flame     | X (flame Z)                             Z (all X)

--
Of course... these are my opinions, not my employer's.
Corey Minter                |