Re: New X-Ray Imager

| A poll last week by the Los Angeles Times found that a majority of people --
| 58 percent -- said they would curtail some civil liberties if it would help
| thwart terrorism. Thirteen percent said it would depend on what rights were
| at stake. The poll didn't ask people to single out any rights.

	Its worth noting the 'if it would help thwart terrorism.'  The
'best,' most expensive anti-terrorism measures ever used in the US
were at the Summer Olympics.  The White House point man on encryption
admitted at last years CFP that Clipper and its derivatives would not
have prevented the Oklahoma city bombing.

	A question worth asking is do we want to apply evolutionary
pressure to terrorists?  I prefer hijacking to bombings wrt aircraft,
but the FAA disagrees.  I prefer having my car stolen without me in
it as well.  (I think John Gilmore asked that question, but I could be
wrong.)

Adam

--
Pet peeve of the day: Security companies whose protocols dare not
speak their name, because they don't have one. Guilty company of the