Re: [Declan McCullagh: "A List Goes Down In Flames," from Netly]

At 9:21 AM +0000 2/14/97, Adam Back wrote:
>Declan McCullagh <[email protected]> writes:

>>        After the expulsion, some of the longtime list denizens left
>>    angrily, joining the 700 subscribers who had departed since the
>>    controversy began. One of those was Tim C. May, a crusty former Intel
>>    engineer who prides himself as the organizer of the first cypherpunk
>>    meeting in September 1992.
>
>Tim left when the moderation experiment started, not after John
>unsubscribed Dimitri, and blocked him from re-subscribing.

Yes, I left after the "moderation" thing was announced as a fait accompli
("it _will_ happen"). Neither Eric Hughes, Hugh Daniel, nor I, as folks who
have had some involvement in the group since the start, were apprised of
this brainstorm. (I did not expect veto power, or a vote, but it would have
been nice to hear, and maybe we could have pointed out the almost
inevitable effects of censorship of the main list and thereby headed off
this public relations screwup.)

By the way, Declan took his comments from me or about me from what I've
written. I haven't met him and our e-mail contact has been minimal.
Importantly, I've always said that Eric Hughes and I were the co-organizers
of the first meeting (and I usually note that it was held at Eric's place
in Oakland). I didn't claim to Declan or anyone else that I was "the"
organizer. But this is a minor error.

>What does `crusty' mean as applied to a former Intel engineer?

And this is a more serious error! :-}

I think "crusty" is just one of those words journalists like to use.
Especially when describing anyone older than themselves.

--Tim May

Just say "No" to "Big Brother Inside"