Re: Crypto moves forward: Commerce Dept panel and SAFE markup

At 11:13 AM 4/25/97 -0700, Ernest Hua wrote:
>Let's let the legislative process (whatever you think of it) take its
>course.  I'll be happy even if they sneak some screwy secret committee
>on the final bill, as long as we are not subject to that committee or
>any other governmental body just because we allow ftp of C source code
>by our off-shore friends.

I think this is a dangerous position to take... make that fatal. The code
is already being ftp'ed out of the US. The law would gain you little. But
the new restrictions/enhanced penalties, which will inevitably be included
in any crypto bill that might become law, will set us back severely.
Personally, I hope that none of the crypto bills pending gets passed.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:[email protected]> PGP encrypted mail preferred

   "I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and
    violence, I would advise violence." Mahatma Gandhi