Re: Spam Update/Cyber Promo attacked

At 7:46 AM -0800 5/9/97, Ray Arachelian wrote:

>Filtering isn't the point.  Just as you have the right to free speech,
>you also have the right to ignore someone else's speech as it is aimed at
>you.  If you don't want Cyberspammo to spam you, they should honor your
>request to take their crap elsewhere.

Much as it pains me to dispute my usual ideological ally Ray A., the "they
should honor your request" is problematic.

If by this Ray means "as decent human beings they should," then, well,
perhaps so.

If, however, Ray means "they should, or something should be done," then, of
course, we disagree.

(If Ray means something in between, then he should say more about what he
means.)

Fact is, so long as anybody is free to send a message to someone else, then
what Wallace, Cantwell, Vulis, et. al. are doing is legit. Legit in the
sense of not breaking any laws. Whether tasteful or not, legit.

>The problem I have with them is that while they do say "Send email here
>to never be spammed again" it doesn't work.  They don't honor the
>deletion requests.  You wind up on some other dweeb's spam queue also
>from cyberspam. :(

Indeed, saying you don't "want" more advertisements is, for all practical
purposes, saying "Send me more!!!!"

So?

--Tim May