Re: Spam Update/Cyber Promo attacked

At 2:54 PM -0800 5/13/97, Ray Arachelian wrote:

>Point is that in every one of their posts that I've gotten they have a
>"send email to this address with subject cancel" only it doesn't do
>shit.   They place something that makes it look like they will not spam
>you if you ask them not to, but they do anyway.

So?

>Yeah, they use the "cancel" messages to send you more spam instead of
>shutting off all spam.  This is called false advertising, no?

I don't believe in the concept of "false advertising." All advertising is
an attempt in persuasion. Sometimes founded in truth, sometimes in a wish
to believe, sometimes in outright deception. So?

(If "false advertising" were a true crime, most of the world's religions
would surely be shut down.)

>If you want to take it further in to the land of the creatures of theory,
>who owns your email?  Do you?  If so, by right of ownership can you
>decide who isn't to send you email?  You can certainly achieve this by
>filters.  If the spamming scum says "I will stop if you ask me to" and
>you ask him to stop, but he doesn't, what rights have you got against
>him?  What if he is using your email for commercial purposes without your
>consent? etc.....

Look to contract law for your answer.

--Tim May