Re: KKK derails crypto bill, report from House Judiciary... (fwd)

In <[email protected]>, on 05/13/97 at 07:16 PM,
   Jim Choate <[email protected]> said:

> [...]

Well I was not thinking of Constitutional Amendments when I made my
orriginal statement as they require ratification by the States to become
law. After thinking on it awhile though I think it would be vailid to
include some of them. I don't have a copy of the Constitution handy so I
will try to address them from memory.

Voting Amendments:

If I recall right there was nothing in the constitution that prevented
women from voting. This was done through state law. I beleive with the
growing support of the sufferget movemnet in the country at the time that
this issue would have been resolved either at the state level or through SC
rulling that the states were acting unconstitionally. I beleive that this
is how the Jim Crow and other state voting laws were abolished.

I do think that droping the voting age from 21 to 18 was a good thing. If
you are old enough to fight and die for your country you should be old
enough to vote for/against the bastards that are getting you killed.

Anti-Discrimination Amendments:

While I think that it was a good thing to abolish State enforced
discrimination I do not like the intrusion into the private sector that has
been a result. I beleive that there is a "right of association" that every
individule has. I should be able to determin who I associate with on
whatever basis I chose to make that determinination. I could go on for
pages on this subject but I beleive that overall such legislation has hurt
the Black community more than it has helped it.

>> I supose that your statest brainwashing has convinced you that such social
>> issues could have only been resolved by Federal intervention. Quite the
>> contrary is true. Any laws passed by congress in these areas were brought
>> about *because* society was already moving in those directions not the
>> other way around.

>I was a small boy in the 60's in and around Houston. I remember what it
>was like before and after the desegregation that took place in the
>mid-60's when I started elementary. I can promise you from personal
>experience there were still seperate washrooms and fountains. Sweeney, Tx.
>still had a sign on Interstate 90 that said (and I quote) "If you are
>black don't let the sun set on you in Sweeney." (the sign was on private
>property adjacent to the interstate I found out years later)

I never questioned that such things went on. Much of this was enforced by
law which was wrong.

>As to a little modern social commentary. Ride the city bus in your town
>for 1 month each day. During that time keep track of where people sit.
>Would you like to explain why the majority of blacks still sit in the back
>of the bus?

Well since I haven't rode the bus in years I really can't confirm or deny
this. I don't recall this when I rode the L and buses in Chicago but then
again it was not somthing I really paid attention to. (Personaly I prefer
riding towrads the back of the bus but it does not have the stigma
associated with it that it may for others).

>And for those who are white with real cajones, walk into a black bar
>around 1AM on a Sunday.

Heh, I do this quite often. :) As an avid Jazz & Blues fan and so-so
Corrnet player I have frequented "black" bars in Chicago, KC, St. Louis,
Houston, & New Orleans. I never experinced any problems outside of the
normal things that happen if you spend enough time in the bars.

I also consider myself a fairly good pool player which tends to bring me
into "black" bars and pools halls on a regular basis.

Now if you are talking of some hole-in-the-wall right around the corner
from the projects then no I do not frequent such places late at night but I
doubt that many middle class black do either. Well there was an after hours
joint I used to go to on Galviston but stoped going after the guy I was
talking to got his kneecap blown off. I decided it was much wiser just to
get a carryout at 2am. :)

>> If someone is going to descriminate on the basis of race or sex or any
>> other criteria they are going to do so reguardless of what laws are passed
>> in DC.

>Absolutely, as is their Constitutionaly protected right. THE FEDERAL
>GOVERNMENT AND EVERY OTHER FORM OF SOCIAL AND LEGAL INSTITUTION SHOULD NOT
>EVER, PERIOD. Private individuals and companies should, and can,
>discriminate to their hearts content. I personaly wouldn't deal with a
>business that I knew a priori discriminated against employees or customers
>based on sex, religion, etc. as a matter of standard policy. I suspect
>that most others with 2 halves of a clue to rub together would refuse as
>well.

Absolutly. I have always beleived that the only color that truely matters
in this country is green. If a company or indivdule does not ingage in a
policy that you support then vote with your wallet. This brings me back to
my orriginal message. Things did not start to change in this country until
the Black community, with the support of many whites, rallied together and
refused to accept the status quo. This is why things started to change back
in the 60's not because of legislation from DC. The polititions were merly
jumping on the bandwagon.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

Finger [email protected] for PGP Key and other info

Tag-O-Matic: It's OS/2, Jim, but not OS/2 as we know it.