Re: Anonymous Remailers

Yes, you are missing a lot.  The bit about foreign inteligence agencies is
almost certainly a canard created by one Strassman at a conference in
Boston 2 years ago, then retracted.  Anyway, if you use chaining, it's
irrelevant.

See

<A HREF="http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/articles/ocean.htm">
http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/articles/ocean.htm
</A> and
<A HREF="http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/articles/arbitr.htm">
http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/articles/arbitr.htm
</A>

for the gory details.

Note that I use a remailer beacause this group may be gatewayed to Usenet
and I am trying to keep down the spam...

On Wed, 14 May 1997, Roger J. Jones wrote:

> Why is it that some who are very concerned about their personal privacy utilize anonymous remailers that:
>
> 1) Log all of their mail messages?
> 2) Are in many cases reputed to be run by foreign intelligence services?
>
> Do they really trust the owner of the remailer? (Unless of course, it is their remailer?)  I seem to be missing something.

A. Michael Froomkin        | +1 (305) 284-4285; +1 (305) 284-6506 (fax)
Associate Professor of Law | "Cyberspace" is not a place.
U. Miami School of Law     |
P.O. Box 248087            | http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin
Coral Gables, FL 33124 USA | It's warm here.