Re: Jim Bell goes to Jail!

At 09:17 AM 5/19/97 -0700, Alan Olsen wrote:
>At 12:08 AM 5/19/97 -0700, Lucky Green wrote:
>
>>There are two reasons I can think of immediately why the feds would keep
>>the warrant sealed. The first is that they don't want to reveal just how
>>little evidence they have. The second reason is that the warrant might give
>>some clue as to future actions/other suspects. Remember that the IRS agent
>>found the AP essay by means of an Internet search engine. That almost
>>certainly means he is following the discussions about Jim Bell on the Net.
>>Such as the discussion on Cypherpunks.
>
>Actually the agent claimed to have found it among some papers in Jim's car
>when the seized it for back taxes.

I stand corrected. The essay was found in the car. However, after the essay
was  found the agent searched the Internet for copies of the essay and
posts by Jim Bell discussing it. The agent's original affidavit states the
number of AP related post by Jim the fed could find via a search engine.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:[email protected]> PGP encrypted mail preferred

   "I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and
    violence, I would advise violence." Mahatma Gandhi