Re: Cypherpunk criminalization

At 5:41 PM -0800 5/21/97, Kent Crispin wrote:

>I don't think this problem can be "fixed" in any meaningful way.  You
>just argued that the problem is a consequence of "perfectly logical
>game-theoretic reasons".  There is nothing in the crypto-anarchy

Game-theoretic reasons depends on the rules of the game. Actually, the
rules are already changing, e.g., Clinton's agreement to end welfare in the
next few years, which will without a doubt alter the rules of the game
which have made welfare a viable career for so many millions...these folks
are on the verge of either learning a real trade (doubtful) or starving
(hooray).

But more rules need to change. Many of us (most of us?) expect strong
crypto to be a catalyst for some major changes. You, Kent, obviously
disagree, and push for more government involvement to shore up the existing
rules.

You are not evil, as per my point, but your kind will be swept aside,
possibly violently but probably through a shut-down of the Livermore Labs.

(My spies within LLL tell me of desperate efforts to find alternative
funding sources, e.g., the "Extreme UV" project. Ultimately, hopeless. A
government lab which loses its main raison d'etre cannot reconfigure itself
as a "think tank" for private industry. Gimme a break.)

>The frustrations of the bubba-cypherpunks with their ego-bolstering
>arsenals are yet another symptom, same as the bubba-militiamen.  They

Back into my kill file you go, Kent. I had hope that by looking at your
messages after a few weeks of ignoring you I might find something fresher.
Same old insults.

--Tim May