Re: Degaussing

At 10:02 PM -0700 7/1/97, Alan Olsen wrote:
>At 02:17 AM 7/2/97 -0000, Secret Squirrel wrote:
>>
>>Could someone please point me to a FAQ or somesuch about degaussing
>>magnetic media? Thank you!
>
>Electromagnetic pulse.  You want something as strong as possible.  About 10
>megatons should generate a big enough pulse.

It works better if you also expose it to the heat and blast.  :-)

In all seriousness, complete physical destruction of the media is the only
sure technique.  Lucky Green's sandblasting sounds like it should work
well.  Melting it into slag should also work.

Bill Frantz       | The Internet was designed  | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | to protect the free world  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
[email protected] | from hostile governments.  | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA