Re: Column, July 8

Vin Suprynowicz wrote:
>     FROM MOUNTAIN MEDIA
>     FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE DATED JULY 8, 1997
>     THE LIBERTARIAN, By Vin Suprynowicz
>     When did we start valuing 'stability' over 'freedom'?

>     Did anyone else watch in disbelief the televised "celebration" of the
> humiliating surrender of the free city of Hong Kong to a bloodthirsty,
> totalitarian slave state on June the 30th?
>   In fact, in all the coverage I watched, the word "freedom" was never used
> once ... ranking right up there with another unheard word, "Communist."
>
>   I swear to you, despite multiple respectful references to the "People's
> Liberation Army" (which appeared to have suited up in powder blue uniforms,
> like extras in a James Bond film, for the occasion) there was not one use
> of the word "Red" or "Communist." I was actually starting to picture an NBC
> news anchor in Hungary in 1956 smilingly reporting, "A great sigh of relief
> is being heard here as the People's Liberation tanks return, guaranteeing
> at least another decade of 'stability'."
>    A news clip gave us the city's new Red party boss, the day before, being
> asked whether the new regime would tolerate demonstrations and freedom of
> speech.
>
>   "We may tolerate some freedom of speech," he said in his kindly,
> avuncular way, "depending on what they try to say."
>
>   Now there's a definition of freedom to warm the hearts of Roberta
> Achtenburg, Janet Reno, and Louis Freeh.

> ***
> Vin Suprynowicz is the assistant editorial page editor of the Las Vegas
> Review-Journal. Readers may contact him via e-mail at [email protected]. The web
> site for the Suprynowicz column is at http://www.nguworld.com/vindex/.

  "We may tolerate some breathing," Janet Reno said in her kindly,
avuncular way, "depending on who tries to breathe."

  "We may tolerate some Assassination Politics," Louis Freeh said
in his kindly, avuncular way, "depending on who they are attempting
to assassinate."

  "We may tolerate some flaming," Sandy Sandfort said in his kindly,
avuncular way, "depending on who they are flaming."

  "We may tolerate some truth," TruthMonger said in his kindly,
avuncular way, "depending on what they are trying to monger."

D r .  R o b e r t s