Re: Dr. Dobbs Cryptography and Security CD-ROM

On 7/2/1997 10:10 AM, Paul Bradley said:

>> A simpler solution (which I believe was used for Unix distribution
>> CD's) would be to encrypt the naughty bits using a strong algorithm,
>> say 56 bit DES :-), but only distribute the decryption key to
>> USA/Canadian citizens. If you could get this past the Export people,
>> you could make a single CD available world-wide. Don't forget to
>> escrow the key with the French authorities.
>
>If someone made such a CD, then someone who obtained it within the US
>posted the key so people outside US/Canada could decrypt the data, who
>would be charged with exporting the software? Could there even be a case
>for charging anyone, after all, keys are not covered in the export regs????
>It`s probably a moot point anyway as I doubt such a CD would be given an
>export licence.

Which reminds me of...
Netscape can export 40-bit versions of Communicator, and according to one
of their own employees (search back in the archives if you don't believe
me) the only difference between the 40-bit version and the 128-bit
version is a license file. Now license files aren't covered in export
regulations, are they? So it's legal to export the 40-bit version of
Communicator (which contains disabled 128-bit crypto) and it's legal to
export the license file. Sounds like it's either not true or the
government is stupider than I thought or the government is tired of
trying to enforce such futile laws.

Wesley Felter - [email protected] - Binary Compass Enterprises
In BizRate we trust - <http://www.bizrate.com/>
Disclaimer: My employer knows I'm crazy.