Re: Hack the Mars rover (fwd)

Forwarded message:

> Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 06:43:06 -0400 (edt)
> From: Ryan Anderson <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: Hack the Mars rover

> Somehow, I don't think that's the place to mount an attempt to take it
> over.  The prohibitive cost of getting an antenna into space where you can
> counter some of the effects of Earth's spin and keep the damn rover in
> contact all the time would be the biggest problem.

The place to attack is the up-link. This requires physical access (ie a van
with a dish and xmtr.) as well as a means to crack the encryption on the
control channels. At least one French satellite has been cracked and
de-orbited via a network attack.

> Besides, how much encryption is needed between two points if intercepting
> the traffic is expensive, the communications protocol is undocumented (as
> far as anyone outside NASA is concerned), and the actual frequency is also
> hard to find?

The communications are not only documented but easily observable with the
correct commercialy available equipment. The frequencies are a matter of
public record, I would further bet that 5 minutes with a search engine would
bring that data to light...

   |        /:'///// ``::>/|/                     http:// www.ssz.com/  |
   |                                                 [email protected]     |