Re: Hack the Mars rover

Ryan Anderson wrote:
> Besides, how much encryption is needed between two points if intercepting
> the traffic is expensive, the communications protocol is undocumented (as
> far as anyone outside NASA is concerned), and the actual frequency is also
> hard to find?

The appropriate question is how much encryption (and other security) is
needed if interrupting the traffic causes the loss of a great deal of
money and difficult (if possible at all) fixes.  This is the mindset of
the Fed security wienies when specifying and designing; thus it must be
the mindset of the non-Fed Wienie looking to crack.

Paul H. Merrill                Merlyn Enterprises
[email protected]
I have no opinions (just facts)
    so it doesn't matter what my employer thinks.