Re: Recreational pharmaceuticals by genetic engineering

At 11:24 AM 7/10/97 -0700, Tim May wrote:
>BTW, this was a topic of conversation several years ago in the nanotech
>discussion group I was in: home chemistry with instructions dowloaded from
>the Net. Sort of a "Click here to download manufacturing instructions for
>LSD."
>[...]
>Such "dangerous knowledge" will join bombmaking instructions in being added
>to Fineswine's law. Downloading of instructuctions for NC machine tools,
>too, if the instructions are for zip guns and even real guns.

And these technological developments will exacerbate the conflict between
the First Amendment and behavioral regulation which the Bernstein case has
already highlighted. "Informational liberty" and "behavioral liberty" are
becoming indistinguishable.

--
Greg Broiles                | US crypto export control policy in a nutshell:
[email protected]         |