FTC privacy comments from CEI and National Consumer Coalition

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:30:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Declan McCullagh <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: FTC privacy comments from CEI and National Consumer Coalition

The Competitive Enterprise Institute and the National Consumer Coalition
filed these comments in response to the FTC's four-day privacy hearing
last month. Some excerpts:

	The fear over children seeing sexually explicit materials
	online led to hasty calls for Internet censorship in the
	Communications Decency Act. Yet the Supreme Court
	recently struck down the law, ruling that the Federal
	government should not be in the business of trying to
	protect children with such a blunt - and patently
	unconstitutional - instrument. Similarly, the  rhetoric
	surrounding the issue of children's privacy on the
	Internet has led to hasty calls for regulation.  Indeed,
	the Administration has taken a strong, even ominous
	position: "This problem warrants prompt attention.
	Otherwise, government action may be required." [...]

	Sometimes information has been released to anybody and
	everybody, via chat rooms or other forums.  Since this
	information becomes part of the knowledge of others, our
	"property right" to control this information is actually
	a "right" to control the actions of other people who now
	have this information.  This is an infringement upon our
	basic freedoms of association, contract, and speech.
	There is nothing wrong with collecting information freely
	placed in public, as much of this information is. [...]

More info:

 http://pathfinder.com/netly/editorial/0,1012,1050,00.html
 http://pathfinder.com/netly/opinion/0,1042,1055,00.html

-Declan