Re: Keepers of the keys

At 3:25 PM -0700 7/18/97, Steve Schear wrote:
>At 1:36 PM -0700 7/18/97, Lizard wrote:>Frankly, I find it mildly
>>amusing no one has asked the Congressional defenders of key escrow, point
>>blank, "What safeguards do you have against keys falling into the hands of
>>the next Ames?" Who watches the watchmen?
>
>Why not go one step further and get the strong crypto supporters in the
>Senate to tack on an ammendment to the McCain-Kerrey-bill forcing the FBI
>and our most secret security agencies to use the very same
>government/industry escrow entitites (but not any of the intelligence
>organizations themselves) for all their encrypted data storage and
>communications traffic and requiring regular GOA compliance reviews.

Beware this line of reasoning.

The fundamental reason why I will not turn over my keys, my diaries, my
tapes, my writings to some third party has nothing to do with this sort of
issue.

I really don't care if the Feds escrow their keys with the Pope...my keys
will *not* be given to anyone other than whom I choose to give them to.
Period.

All of this brainstorming about who might be the best choice to hold
"escrowed" keys, a la the reporter stooge Shea, or about requiring the Feds
to use the same escrow system, misses this basic point. And plays into
their hands.

Kill the key grabbers and all those who support them. Isn't it exactly what
Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, and the others would have argued?

--Tim May