Re: An Attempt to Hobble SAFE Crypto Bill (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 18:22:48 -0400
From: Alan Davidson <[email protected]>
To: "--Todd Lappin-->" <[email protected]>, [email protected]
Subject: Re: An Attempt to Hobble SAFE Crypto Bill

At 11:03 AM -0800 7/25/97, --Todd Lappin--> wrote:

>An Attempt to Hobble House Crypto Bill
>
> by Rebecca Vesely
> The amendment, by Representative Benjamin Gilman
> (R-New York), who chairs the International Relations
> Committee, would make it unlawful to "manufacture,
> distribute, sell, or import any product within the United
> States that can be used to encrypt communications or
> information if the product does not permit the real-time
> decryption of such encrypted communications or
> information."

The full text of this very frightening amendment is now available on CDT's
Web site at:
	http://www.cdt.org/crypto/legis_105/SAFE/index.shtml#970725

It's a chilling glimpse at the Administration's view of a
mandatory-domestic-key-recovery world. This is the first time I've seen
anyone put such a provision through the House Legislative Counsel process.

 	-- Alan

Alan Davidson, Staff Counsel                 202.637.9800 (v)
Center for Democracy and Technology          202.637.0968 (f)
1634 Eye St. NW, Suite 1100                  <[email protected]>
Washington, DC 20006                         PGP key via finger