Re: Yet another self-labeling system

    I'm in favor of a ratings system; not one which indicates for whom a
given page is suitable, but rather one which identifies the subject matter.
 The Dewey Decimal System is a primitive example of such a system.

    It seems to me that, if the USG is in the business of encouraging or
endorsing morally normative ratings systems (which, of course, they've done
for years), they're discouraging free discourse regarding child-rearing.

    It's important that parents can protect their children from content
which _they_ believe to be inappropriate, but providing boilerplate (such
as "adult"/"non-adult") turns parents into sheeple.

    I could write a book, but I think I've made my point.

    Peace,
*---- Kurt Starsinic ([email protected]) ------ Senior Programmer/Analyst ---*
|   Institute for Scientific Information             (215) 386-0100 x1108   |
|   "It seems every politician in the country wants to enact a minute for   |
|    school prayer these days.  I'd be happy if somebody could just         |
|    legislate a minute of science in school."  --  Dennis Miller           |