Re: Fuck the Usenet Cabal

> ObCrypto: I was offered a 76GB changer for $350.  I thought of the following
> demo application: a user e-mails a piece of a Unix passwd file (password+salt)
> to a server, which looks up a password that works.  Problem is, 76GB doesn't
> seem sufficient for the lookup table. :-( (Assume infinite time available
> on a fast box.)

I have to confess ignorance over the form of the password in the unix
passwd file, how much salt is used, does it vary from ?nix to ?nix or is it
pretty standard? Maybe a small(ish) lookup table/ dictionary attack could
be mounted using this.

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, [email protected]
  [email protected], [email protected]