Re: Krispin Preaches Revolution!

At 8:37 AM -0700 9/4/97, Duncan Frissell wrote:

>None of us have had time to become Bitter Old Revolutionary Extremists yet.
>Tim and I am members of the same birth cohort.  He tends towards depression
>and I tend towards optimism but both of us have seen quite a few changes over

I prefer the term "pessimism" to "depression." The opposite of optimistic
is pessimistic, not depressed, which has a clinical sound to it.

>Conquering an "anarchy" is hard enough because of the lack of anyone to
>surrender.  Conquering an "anarchy" that is springing up all around you at
>the "speed of business" or in "net time" is even harder.  The only tactical
>option that would work for our rulers in the current political situation is
>to "nuke us back to the stone age" so that they could regain their
>traditional force ratios.

And this is what I think they may try: a global crackdown to try to stamp
out the wildfire of anarchocapitalism before it spreads beyond any hope of
control.

Our opponents understand full well the power of strong crypto and
unassailable privacy to facillitate this kind of anarchy and this kind of
voluntary, self-selected, virtual communities.

They understand, we understand, and even some in the media understand. The
politicians don't, for the most part.

Louis Freeh is no dummy. He understands the power struggle. But he has to
speak babytalk to Feinswine and Kyl to let them glimpse what the issues are.

--Tim May