Re: Credit Card might-as-well-equal SSN

At 03:52 PM 9/9/97 -0400, you wrote:

>--- begin forwarded text

>To: [email protected]
>Subject: Credit Card might-as-well-equal SSN
>Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 15:17:52 -0400
>From: glen mccready <[email protected]>
>

>Forwarded-by: Nev Dull <[email protected]>
>Forwarded-by: Jon Loeliger <[email protected]>

[stuff cut]
>Questions: Is this for real?  How wide spread is this?  What does U-Haul do
>with your SSN? How difficult is it for someone (company) to get your SSN
>when you use your credit card?
>
>M. L. Sproul
>Amarillo, TX
>
>                [ Under current law, your SSN is part of what's called
>                  "credit header" data, and is (no longer) protected
>                  under the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act).
>
>                  This means that for all intents and purposes, your
>                  SSN is public information.
>
>                                -- MODERATOR ]

It has been some time since I have seen an actual credit report, but as I
remeber, TRW and CBI both report the persons SS# when you do a credit
check. CBI has a search by SS# that will give you credit history and
address from a SS#.. I did quite a few credit checks in my younger, more
criminalistic days..