(Fwd) Cuban terrorist used encrypted phone (fwd)

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 10:31:46 -0400
To: [email protected]
From: Scott Carr <[email protected]>
Subject: Cuban terrorist used encrypted phone
Sender: [email protected]

   I just heard this on CNN.  Apparently, the Cuban government has arrested
an alleged terrorist  for several hotel bombings.  They clain he was hired
by Anti-Castro forces in the US.  Now, for the relavant part for the list;
the Cubans also claim to have tapes of encrypted telephone conversations
between the bomber and his backers.  I do not know if the tapes are in the
clear of not.
   Nice to know that law enforcement can still make arrests even when
nasty, bad, encryption is being used.  I wonder if the Cubans asked the US
Governemnt for any keys....

   (I wonder if there had been escrowed keys, if the US Government would
have given them to Cuba.)

----- End of forwarded message from Scott Carr -----