Concrete examples re why we can't trust the government with our keys.

>From today's San Jose Mercury News' "AP Breaking News" section -

First, the FBI settled a FOIA suit with a scholar who had sought access to
the FBI's files re John Lennon - the FBI fought release for 16 years,
finally agreeing to release all but 10 records and pay the requester's
$204,000 in accrued attorney's fees. The records released revealed no
information which suggested that Lennon was involved in, planned to, or
engaged in an illegal act; he was, however, unpopular with the then-head of
the FBI, J. Edgar Hoover. Who is Louis Freeh spying on?
<http://www.sjmercury.com/news/breaking/docs/080798.htm>

Second, a former NSA employee was sentenced to 18 years in Federal prison
for selling classified information to the Soviet Union for a mere $27,000.
How much would he have charged for escrowed key information?
<http://www.sjmercury.com/news/breaking/docs/072698.htm>

--
Greg Broiles                | US crypto export control policy in a nutshell:
[email protected]         | Export jobs, not crypto.