Re: New PGP "Everything the FBI ever dreamed of"

At 11:46 AM 10/5/97 -0500, William H. Geiger III wrote:

>In <v03102800b05d58dd0280@[207.167.93.63]>, on 10/05/97
>   at 08, Tim May <[email protected]> said:
>
>>Let's hope PGP, Inc. comes to their senses and stops doing the work of
>>Big Brother.
>
>This is really silly Tim,
>
>The ability to encrypt using multiple keys has been a feature of PGP since
>day one. All the Business Edition is doing is automating the process.
>Despite the flawed news reports on this matter (who would have guessed)
>their is nothing covert about it. The user is both informed that this is
>being done and there is a way for the user to disable it in the client.

I guess the real question is whether the messages/files generated just add
an extra key or if they leak the key through some harder to identify method.

The current version of PGP no longer shows you the list of recipients, so
it is more difficult to determine if extra keys are added.

Is the method they are using for this new version to "escrow" the keys
obvious to the recipient or not?

---
|              "That'll make it hot for them!" - Guy Grand               |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l [email protected]` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com/~alan/       |[email protected]|