Re: New PGP "Everything the FBI ever dreamed of"

In <[email protected]>, on 10/05/97
   at 12, Alan <[email protected]> said:

>At 11:46 AM 10/5/97 -0500, William H. Geiger III wrote:

>>In <v03102800b05d58dd0280@[207.167.93.63]>, on 10/05/97
>>   at 08, Tim May <[email protected]> said:
>>
>>>Let's hope PGP, Inc. comes to their senses and stops doing the work of
>>>Big Brother.
>>
>>This is really silly Tim,
>>
>>The ability to encrypt using multiple keys has been a feature of PGP since
>>day one. All the Business Edition is doing is automating the process.
>>Despite the flawed news reports on this matter (who would have guessed)
>>their is nothing covert about it. The user is both informed that this is
>>being done and there is a way for the user to disable it in the client.

>I guess the real question is whether the messages/files generated just
>add an extra key or if they leak the key through some harder to identify
>method.

>The current version of PGP no longer shows you the list of recipients, so
>it is more difficult to determine if extra keys are added.

>Is the method they are using for this new version to "escrow" the keys
>obvious to the recipient or not?

I *highly* doubt that they are doing anything other than adding an extra
recipiant when encrypting. The code for doing so is already there and
achives the objectives desired by their customers. Really no reason to do
anything else from a programming or business prospective.

I have not had a chance to obtain a copy of 5.5 and check it out so I
don't know what info is being presented to the user. I don't run Win95/NT
or MAC so it is unlikly that I will spend the $$$ for a copy. Perhaps
someone running one of these inferior OS's could obtain a copy and
investegate this aspect futher. :)

Looking at the encrypted messages should revial wether or not extra keys
are being added or not.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html